Saturday, February 27, 2010

O Ye Of Little Faith vs Be Prepared

Yes, I finished my Olympic challenge!

Part of my challenge to finish a project was also to use up some stash. I have a basket of Simply Soft that needs to be emptied. I checked the yarn requirements for the size 6 T-Top: 12 ounces. I had one full skein of Dark Sage (7 ounces,) a partial skein (about 3 .5 ounces,) and some Ecru which I did not bother to weigh. Big mistake. Of course I would have enough- most patterns overestimate the yarn requirements anyway! Along about Monday of week 2, I began to panic. Would there be enough to finish? Maybe. Maybe not. I could make the body a bit shorter and the sleeves a bit shorter. These sweaters are not knit for an specific individual, so surely someone would be able to wear it not matter what size it was. But I wanted it to look good and be able to keep someone warm.

I was so torn. Would I have enough to finish?

I caved. I pulled out my trusty Michael's coupon and headed to the store on my lunch hour. I purchased the backup skein. I knit and knit and knit.

I finished it!
This is what was left:

I now have added back a skein of Simply Soft.

The basket is groaning! Maybe, though, I will knit a hat to match. There's always room for redemption!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Congratulations! You get the gold, plus an extra gold star for having had the right amount of yarn after all! I think a hat or fingerless mitts would be a great accessory...