Saturday, July 27, 2013

Chemo caps

The 2013 Charity Project for the Spartanburg Knitting Guild is chemo caps for our local hospital. We have given to the center in previous years, but they always need more. We started knitting these in January. This summer, as an incentive to use lighter cotton weighs, a LYS is offering a drawing for gift certificates when a cap using yarn purchased at her shop is donated before the end of July. Needless to say, many caps have been received! I turned in 15 caps at the last meeting, 8 of which had been made with yarn from the shop and qualify for the drawing. (Some was stash yarn, but had been purchased previousy at her shop.) The rest of the caps came from unknown members of my stash. I enjoy charity projects not only because the items are useful and knitting them brings a sense of peace, but also because I believe I have attained STABLE and want to use as much of it as possible! Of course, I continue to purchase more (ie cotton yarn from the LYS) but then, I am a normal knitter and of course I buy yarn!

First, here is the Roll Brim cap, from Head Huggers, using Dark Horse Farms.

These are the Lace-Edged caps, also from Head Huggers, using Rowan Softknit Cotton, Caron Simply Soft, and other unknown yarns.

This cap uses a generic waffle stitch/bump pattern. I used Dark Horse Farm for one of them and S charles victoria for the other.

Finally, my favorite pattern, the Eyelet Brim Cotton Cap by Candy Wheatcroft. Again, I used Rowan Softknit Cotton.

There is more stash waiting to become chemo caps. I'm taking a short break! My heart and prayers go out to the recipients of these caps- I wish chemo caps would go out of style/disappear/be unnecessary!

1 comment:

Jen said...

The eyelet brim is my favorite, too!