Monday, February 16, 2009

Darn knit

While uncovering piles of projects that have been covering my floor, I found this: my first holey sock.


It's amazing how we joyfully crank out items that have a limited shelf life! There is something paradoxical about creating something that will not last. I marvel at those builders of sandcastles and crab houses, those sculptures that are guaranteed to disappear when the tide comes in. I marvel at those chefs, who create not only a sumptuous meal but who also present it as a piece of art...only to become a tasteful memory. Sure, things can be created to last a long, long time and can be enjoyed by many, many generations. But we knitters know that precious few knitted items have survived the centuries. (Maybe some of our acrylic/polyester projects of the 70's and 80's will stand the test of time!!)

I have discovered that I am a process rather than a project knitter. I knit because I like to knit. I do not need hand-knit socks. I do not need to give all my friends scarves, fingerless mitts, or dishcloths. Those items are just happy results of my doing something that soothes my soul.

I am not, however, ready to give up on the sock. I also found this:












This china darning egg belonged either to Mom or my grandmother. It is a gentle reminder that sometimes we may think something is no longer good or useful. New sandcastles are made when the tide goes out; new meals are prepared when we get hungry again.

But old socks can be mended...at least a couple of times!














There probably are several other messages in these ramblings that I should take to heart..

1 comment:

Jen said...

I think it's an amazing talent to be able to fix things. I wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do with a holey sock!

What is a darning egg?