Friday, July 16, 2010

Catching up

Before I started my "miles to go" project, I actually did get some knitting done. Our Knitting Guild has had wonderful charity projects ever since its inception, and this year is no exception: we are knitting baby blankets. Members may knit any style blanket using any yarn, but there is a suggested yarn, suggested colors, and suggested patterns. The yarn is Plymouth Encore Worsted; the colors are red, blue, yellow, and green; and the patterns are programs for meetings throughout the year. Learning to knit to gauge, mitered square, intarsia, cables, trinity stitch, linen stitch, and bobbles will be featured. The finished 6" knit squares will be whipped together for blankets.

I have been knitting for a number of years and understand the techniques involved, so I went ahead and just did my own thing. For almost 3 months, I had an insatiable addiction to mitered squares.I designed a grid for 2-color squares and finished one blanket.
The squares were the perfect take-to-work-and-knit-on-my-break-and-lunch-hour projects. I could not stop. After finishing that blanket, I realized I could not stop. I started turning out random patterns with random colors. I was unstoppable, until I ran out of yarn.
I turned in these squares to be mixed in with the squares from the other members.
Now it's time to tackle my own stash. My knitmeter for this quarter is now at 225 yards.

2 comments:

JoOwl said...

Cathy, both sets of squares are gorgeous! I love 'em!

And I am glad to see more entries in this blog.

Jen said...

I haven't done mitred squares in a while, but these are so beautiful that I may need to consider a mitred project of my own!