Saturday, August 10, 2013

Summer of the weekly blog

In my list of "draft" posts, what a catchy title and goal this was! I was going to write a blog entry once a week between Memorial Day and Labor Day, even though the "official" dates of summer do not coincide with the dates of summer designated by our education system (at least in the south!) This is only post #5 even though we are mere weeks away from Labor Day...

I like to write, knit, think, read, and take pictures. Blogging is a wonderful way to exercise these joys in one place. It is also a wonderful way to help me remember what in the world I was doing during the Summer of '13!

I knit, as evidenced in previous posts here and here and hopefully in some future posts.         

I have continued to read the Good Book this summer. My diocese has a challenge of reading the Bible in a year- something I have done several times previously, but not with a group. I'm off track at the moment, but I am still on the journey.
The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating is one of those books that I wished would never end. Anyone who has enjoyed A Gift from the Sea or Pilgrim at Tinker Creek would be touched by the life lessons learned from a tiny bit of nature.
Many years ago I read Gail Sheehy's Passages, the discussion about the physical and emotional aspects of the inevitable process of aging. Richard Rohr's Falling Upward, takes it much deeper into the spirit and soul. The subtitle for Rohr's book is "a spirituality for the two halves of life." Sometimes I felt like he had written the book just for me, to answer some of my deepest questions, and to assure me that it was even ok to ask the questions!

I have preserved memories through pictures of good times with my children and grandchildren this summer.



I have been thinking about all that I want to accomplish in the next years of my life, and am coming to the conclusion that while having plans and dreams and goals keeps me striving to be and do my best, I have been given the grace to see the joy in each moment.

Making plans keeps me humble. "The Summer of the Blog" is now "The Few Weeks of the Blog."

Frogging keeps me humble, too.

It also allows for redemption. This yarn is destined for something other than what I tried to make it to be!

No comments: