Thursday, July 19, 2007

Preparation for Knitting Surgery

I'm still contemplating Santa's facial surgery. Unfortunately, the pink yarn for his face and yummy angora yarn for his beard are no longer in my stash. I was watching a program a few nights ago about surgeons realigning a young child's face that was misshapen from birth. It is absolutely astonishing what doctors can do nowadays! This reconstructive surgery was not just for cosmetic purposes- he was able to reenter life as a "normal" boy. He still doesn't look "perfect," whatever that is, but he is happy. I've been so worried that I would not be able to fix Santa's face (yes, I tend toward perfectionism) but the show last night humbled me. Even Harrison Ford has a wonderfully crooked smile!

As I was rambling through my stash, I found some glitzy yarn that I was planning to use for another Christmas project. Aha! I'll just pick up the dropped stitches with it and add a few duplicate stitches on other parts of the beard to tie it all together! Then, I'll embroider some sort of wonderfully crooked smile!

I'm still a bit scared to start the surgery, so I decided to start the other project with a portion of the stash yarn. More later.

No comments: