Friday, April 13, 2007

February Feet, part trois


And finally, a patterned sock!

Having found my way through using the various "tools" of knitting (ie 1 circular, 2 circulars, and dpns) I decided to incorporate a real pattern into my socks. The supposed "2 on 1" socks from Friday's blog did involve a pattern, but it was basically just fancy ribbing. This time, I went for a lacier pattern.



The specs: 2 balls Fortissima Colori Socka Disco
set of size 3 dpns
pattern: Peaks n Valleys (from Knit Socks By Betsy McCarthy)

This was a very easy pattern to memorize. Socks are such a good take-along project that I did not want to be dealing with having to take-along the pattern, too. From this project, I learned that multi-colored yarns and patterns can sometimes compete with each other. These socks would have looked just as happy knit in the stockinette stitch. Next time I use a pattern, it will be with a solid color so I can see the details better! I do love the socks (I'm still working on figuring out how to take better pictures so the colors are more true.) I wish I had taken a close-up of the pattern in the finished sock. You can see it started in the first picture.







When I finished these socks (the end of March) I thought I was going to have to put them away until next fall. I had already painted my toenails in anticipation of sandal weather- we had several days the first week in April of 80 degree weather. But April fooled us all and is living up to its name as the "cruelest month." I, for one, am just as happy still to be wearing my socks and sweaters!
I now have a week's worth of winter socks. I do have a bit more sock yarn in my stash, but most are dark colors. Maybe I should check out my LYS for some summer weight/color sock yarns...cold feet can happen in July, too!

2 comments:

Jen said...

So many wonderful socks! They look great! I just started on my second pair, but am only adventurous enough to try ribbing the whole sock (in hopes it will stay up better). Purl is a cute kitty, but a frustrating stitch when it's the first one on a dpn...

Jen said...

Oops - I forgot that Purl became Puff. He's still cuter than my stitches!