Wednesday, April 11, 2007

February Feet- an apology

I originally posted this entry on April 11th. It had some formatting errors in it, and in my naivete (ie ignorance) I thought I could edit it where it was and everything would be fine. Little did I know that it would disappear. I have no idea where it will reappear (original date or today) so this is just a learning experience. Oh well. Here it is again....

February feet are not always happy feet. Mine are always cold. How I would love to have had at least a week's worth of hand knit socks! I've been knitting socks for about 2 years now, but have used only the generic Lion Brand pattern. I've used various yarns and needle sizes, but always knit with a set of 5 dpns. Most of the socks were given to friends or to our church bazaar. Last summer, it was time to learn new techniques, and since I wasn't sure of the outcome, I planned to keep the finished products for myself! These 3 pair of socks were started and abandoned in 2006: (I know- it is a lousy picture. I was so anxious to get this blog going that I have not taken the time to find the best place/lighting/background for photo ops. I'll be working on that!





1 sock on 2 needles

2 socks on 1 needle

1 sock on 5dpns but with a patterned leg




And now, the story of the finishing of the 2-on-1.

I took a class at my LYS to learn how to knit 2 socks on one circular needle (using Socks! The Next Step by Carole Wulster.)

The specs:

2 hanks of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in "camouflage."
40" Addi Turbo size 3 (more on that later)
pattern: broken rib



I finally mastered the technique of sliding and had knit as far down as the heel, but was stuck on the heel shaping. Other projects called to me, so I put these socks ina bag and under the table. When I revisited these socks in February, I determined that I did not like knitting 2 on one and was going finish each sock individually on 5 dpns. The guage was off just a smidge (since I think Addis are just sized by mm's) and I wasn't going to let that bother me. But id did bother me, so I ended up finishing each sock on the one-sock-two-circulars method, which I also learned last summer and is the subject of the second UFO sock story tomorrow. Anyway, I used 2 addi's to finish the socks, but came to a halt with a decision to make for the toe:


Do I continue in the pattern down the toe (left foot)or just do stockinette (right foot?) I opted for the pattern to the toe. Of course, I had not considered this when I began the sock, and I had an even rather than an odd number of repeats. Anyway, I am happy with my decision. I had knit the one on the right first, but did not mind the frogging and tinking. I just wanted to get them finished!

Again, what follow is a relatively lousy photo, but it IS a finished pair of socks!










Tomorrow, another heart-wrenching story of UFO sock knitting.

1 comment:

Becky said...

This blog is delightful. Cathy you are so much fun to read. Love the pictures too. keep it coming.