Tuesday, April 10, 2007

January 2007- dishcloth frenzy






Yes, for awhile I was totally addicted. This first picture shows the stash of Sugar 'n Cream and Peaches 'n Cream that I was trying to deplete.

As anyone who has knit a ballband dishrag knows, it is impossible to knit just one. There is probably enough yarn left for another one, and maybe it can be combined with other colors. But golly wouldn't it look good if I just went out and just bought one more ball of yellow. I could use it to make THREE dishrags, one in combination with blue, one with green and one with white. That one looks like scrambled eggs. But there is still some blue left over, so maybe I'll get a variegated ball that could also be used with the purple. And on and on and on it goes. I was able to call a halt to the whole process before an intervention was necessary, and have relegated the remnants to my gift wrap box to use as ribbon. Phew.

I had made a number of these last year for Christmas gifts, and was wondering what I could do with all these. I recently found out that my LYS is coordinating a service project to provide dish/washcloths next Christmas to the 1800 or so recipients of Mobile Meals in our community. Something tells me there may be more dishcloth knitting in my future...Here are some of the finished products, arranged in quilt fashion.








I did use the edging suggested by someone on the Mason-Dixon KAL. It makes a nice, finished look. (CO 4 additional stitches at the beginning. Alwayys knit the first 2 stitches, work the pattern, then with yarn in front, slip the last 2 stitches.)














Tomorrow: February feet

2 comments:

JoOwl said...

As the recipient of one of Cathy's Christmas dishcloths, I can testify that they are both handsome and functional.

Jen said...

It's such a good thing to offer those beautiful dishcloths to charity - they'll be the prettiest of the 1800 received! But I must say, they do make a lovely patchwork....just seam it up and it would be an adorable baby blanket or lightweight throw!